At IU, who can have an account on Webserve, and how do I get one?
Who can have an account
For information about accounts, see Web Accounts on Webserve.
The university web server, Webserve, provides web space for:
- Online publications by Indiana University departments and
officially recognized organizations
- Student organizations registered with Student Life and
Learning at IU Bloomington or with the Office of Student
Involvement at IUPUI
Note: Student groups must have a full-time faculty or staff sponsor to own the account.
- Faculty members presenting information regarding their classes or
- Associate instructors and graduate students with teaching
responsibilities providing course materials for their classes
Note: A full-time faculty or staff sponsor must own the account. Graduate students usually ask an advisor or the faculty member in charge of associate instructors to act as the owner. Keep in mind that the owner's professional responsibilities must be related to the purpose of the web account. The faculty or staff member will act as account owner and sponsor, and will be an authorized contact for the account. An authorized contact has full publishing access to the account; however, the account owner must request password resets and unlock accounts.
- University departments, including non-academic departments, presenting
information about their services, facilities, and so on
- Approved professional organizations, provided the group is
directly related to the business of the university and that at least 50%
of the group's members are IU faculty or staff
Note: Professional organization computing accounts are for the sole and exclusive use of the IU organization and its designated members, and may not be used for or by other organizations or individuals not affiliated with IU.
Getting an account
Note: Service and account requests must come from the individual account owner, not an account contact or group account ID.
To request an account on Webserve (
- Request a departmental or group account in the Account
Management Service (AMS). See At IU, how can my group or department request a computing account?
- After you've created the departmental or group account in AMS, and created an email account or set email forwarding for it, you can then apply for a web account using the Enterprise WebTech Services Management form (requires Network ID authentication).
If you have questions about the account application process, see the Getting Started guide.
Note: If you are affiliated with IU and want to create a personal home page, see At IU, what is Mypage, and how can I publish a web page there?
Last modified on October 29, 2012.